Every year August sneaks up on us, where did the summer go?! Well it’s not too late to get outside and enjoy the sunshine while it lasts. Did you know that throughout the month of July, we were putting between 1000-1200 people on the river every single weekend? Visit our website www.paddlestation.ca to see the variety of vessels we offer and what interests you.
Now we know it is August Long and everyone is looking to have a good time; we want to help with that! But we also cannot stress river safety enough. It is SO important to remember the following instructions:
- Wear your life jacket at all times. This is mandatory by us and the City of Calgary.
- Helmets are not required on the river but they are recommended as the water can be quite rough at times.
- We provide you with all the required safety equipment – you just have to use it while you are on the water: life jackets, helmets, paddles and a safety kit.
- Steer clear of visible tree branches, rocks, and bridges to protect yourself and the Paddle Station equipment.
- Follow the instructions provided to you by our Crew to ensure you stay on course and safe on your way down the river.
- Drink lots of water! It is easy to get dehydrated when you are in the sun for long periods of time, so ensure you drink lots of water before your excursion or bring some with you.
- Check the forecast before you go. Some days you will need sunscreen, others you will need a sweater. However, if the weather turns into hail or a storm, we ask you paddle to the south side of the river immediately. Once you are safely on shore, call our emergency line at 4034562418 so our crew can come and get you and your vessel.
Happy August Long Weekend! See you on the Bow! #YourRiverIsWaiting